Sunday, October 05, 2008

It Shouldn't Have Happened

Before I get too far into this blog, I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you who prayed for my parents as they lost a good portion of their house to Hurricane Ike. As an update, they are doing great. Just moved into a cute little temporary apartment and are on the verge of getting the contractor hired and underway for the rebuild. They were supported by so many friends and neighbors and prayers which circled the globe. And true to God’s merciful nature, there are just too many stories to tell about how they have been amazingly provided for in all of this.

Now all that being said, there is one story which I believe warrants attention because it carries with it the full weight of a God who does not change in relation to His people, regardless of era. When the tornado hit my folks’ home, it basically threw four trees at the roof. One particularly large pine tree landed across the bedroom portion of the house, crashing through the front end, coming out the back, and landing directly above their bed where they were “sleeping” at the time. [pictures are posted below] When the tree removal crew came out with the crane to remove the tree, they took one look at the situation and said that there was only one place on that roof where the juncture was strong enough to support a tree of that size and the tree had landed in that one spot. A couple of inches either way, and it probably would have killed my parents. If that was not enough, my Mom was told that the portion of roof above their bed had NOTHING structurally sound holding it there. It should not be there, this should not have happened the way it did and they really should be dead.

The point is – something which should not have been able to happen did happen. The laws of the natural world were once again broken by a sovereign God who more than cares for His own. I just kept thinking of the time when the people of Israel crossed the Jordan and entered the Promised Land for the first time. They did as God asked, put their foot in the Jordan and the water dried up. What should not have been able to happen did happen. Natural law was broken for the sake of His children so that they would have a clearer understanding of just Who was taking care of them, every step of the way. And following further instruction, each tribe took a rock from the bottom of that riverbed which should not have been dry, and built a memorial pillar so that they would never forget who they were in relation to their God.

I certainly never want to forget. I’ve asked my Mom to send me a small piece of that roof to keep for my memorial that I might never forget who I am, who my parents are, in relation to my sovereign unchanging God. I never want to forget that sometimes, in remarkable ways, what should not be able to happen can happen and it can happen in my life. What amazing thing is happening in your life and what memorial pillar can you build to never forget the awesomeness of a personal, merciful God?



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good good good......

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are looking comprehensive tree care and consultancy service. Our qualified, insured and experienced tree surgeons undertake all pruning, shaping, bracing, felling and stump grinding operations. There are some very good things you can do to promote heathly, long-lived trees. And there are a number of things you will want to avoid.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home