Tuesday, May 08, 2007

GOING SOLO with Robert Dickinson, French Horn


I’ve been in the SBC Orchestra for: 16 years.

My instruments are: French horn (about 12 years), formerly trumpet.

If I hadn’t chosen the French Horn, I probably would have played the: I suppose the bass trombone or contrabass clarinet. I like the low-sounding instruments.

Most people have no idea that I: had dozens of my pictures published in magazines and textbooks about 20 years ago. (Editor's note: For now photography is a hobby--one that he hopes to spend a good deal of time on when he retires. His favorite subjects to photograph are people, landscapes and scenics, and classic cars.)

My favorite worship or praise song is: Blessed Assurance.

My perfect pizza is topped with: cheese & pepperoni, preferably from Streets of New York or Barro’s.

My family consists of: my wife and better half, Theresa, and our ten-year old “puppy”, Chester, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (big name, little dog). (Editor's note: Theresa plays the saxophone and is currently on leave from the orchestra with hopes to return in the fall.)

My life verse is: Proverbs 3:5,6 and II Corinthians 5:17

I’ve lived in AZ for: almost 18 years.

I was born in: Sierra Vista Hospital in San Luis Obispo, CA.

I drink my coffee/tea: no coffee. I like unsweetened ice tea, and I especially like (sweetened) Snapple Raspberry or Peach Ice Tea!!! Yum!!!

My favorite kind of music: my iPod suggests I’m some kind of schizophrenic. I suppose a large orchestra (heavy on the horns and trumpets) playing a cool movie soundtrack.

I almost gave up playing the trumpet when: I was working weird hours at my job in 1993/1994.

My profession: Market Research Analyst (in short, I size up retail and residential areas for optimal business opportunities).

An unfulfilled dream of mine is to: have a full-blown photo studio and know how to use all the equipment like it’s second nature. (Editor's note: When asked a bit more about his favorite subject, Robert had this to say: "Every now and then, I get a perfect shot. It's extremely gratifying (and rare) when I get the subject, composition, perspective, exposure, focus, and depth of field perfect all in one picture. I am sort of a purist. I do very, very little digital enhancing on the computer. I don't believe in spending hours on the computer trying to "fix" a bad picture. Too many photographers rely too much on Photoshop to fix pictures that can't (or shouldn't) be rescued.")

1 Comments:

Blogger Seven's Heaven said...

I enjoyed reading about Robert. I was wondering since you are a purist with photography, if you enjoy digital over film. A good family friend is Keith Canham who makes Canham cameras, the big negatives. Talk about amazing depth of field. Every detail in focus. Just wondering if you enjoyed it THAT much! Susan Tuten (choir, Alex's mom)

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home