Monday, September 24, 2007

Everyday Worship

Greetings fellow blog-readers. I have returned. I have momentarily finished playing with cardboard and packing tape, the parental units have proved themselves quite useful once again in getting me settled into the new place and are soon to return home. And... I've finally found 5 minutes to breathe deep and try to remember how to post a blog once again. The following is the next installment in the Life of Worship devotionals. Hope you enjoy.

Read Zechariah 14

The day of the Lord. When we read about this terrible and fascinating day in the Bible, so many things come to light. It will be a day unlike any before it, when everything which is expected no longer exists. It is a dreadful day of judgment, when God deals once and for all with those who oppose Him and His children; when the Lord personally fights all their battles. As His enemies are taken down, God, in a most spectacular way, causes Jerusalem, His “Daughter of Zion” to be lifted up and He brings her a security she has never known. It is a day of rebirth as the returning Lord touches the crest of the Mount of Olives and its heart is split, broken in two. Living waters will flow from His city to make that which was dead alive. And on this day, worship of the Most High God becomes so prevalent that even the most basic and mundane items become utensils of worship.

As children of God, we have already received a blessing in the knowledge that our Savior has purchased our escape from this day. However, that does not mean that we should not seek our own “day of the Lord’ in our lives right now. As a Christian, every day of my life should be a day of the Lord. My everyday worship experience should make each day unique unto itself, unlike any which have come before it. Each day I should acknowledge God’s justice and righteousness in my life and watch how He fights my battles and subdues my enemies. I should remember every day how the Lord touched my heart only to break it in two so that His living waters can flow from me, out beyond the scope of my vision, flowing to someone who is dead, cleansing them to life.

My day of the Lord should be so permeated with worship that everything I do, even the most daily and mundane of all chores become acts of holy worship. Wiping a runny nose, doing the laundry, sitting in traffic or sweeping a floor, all become sacred utensils of worship before the alter of the Lord God Almighty. And when this day of the Lord is complete, it is my prayer that I too have lived the words of my Lord when He said, “Then I was beside Him, as a master workman; And I was daily His delight, rejoicing always before Him.” [Proverbs 8:30]

Food for Thought:

1. According to Proverbs 16:3, Isaiah 32:17, Matthew 5:16, 1 Corinthians 15:28 and Hebrews 12:28, what are some of the aspects and results we should be aware of when considering our worship through daily work?
2. Compare Zechariah 14:20-21 with 1 Corinthians 10:31 and summarize what these verses mean to you and your life.
3. Indicate what changes you intend to make this week to change your daily chores into acts of worship.

Copyright © 2001 Kimberly K. Hannay
All Rights Reserved

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home