Friday, March 23, 2007

It's Friday.....but Sunday's Comin!

I think I titled a previous posting with this phrase awhile back. I saw Tony Campolo give this message years ago--so long that in fact I don't remember when or where (that's pretty sad). It's a very impassioned message telling various details about Good Friday and each one is followed by this phrase "It's Friday....but Sunday's Comin." This has been made into a video which will be our call to worship on Easter. It's meant to focus everyone's attention. This leads straight into the short "He's Alive" by the choir and orchestra. During "He's Alive" there will be 6 girl dancers coming up and down the aisles with ribbons and flowers in a very exuberant celebration of our risen Savior. Without stopping we go into a big organ intro to "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" to raise the house. The choir, orchestra, organ and congregation will sing that song as well as "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee" (with new Easter lyrics) and finish with the old hymn "I Stand Amazed." This is followed by welcome and announcements going straight into "Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone) for the offertory with choir, orchestra, Kristina Bubar, and Michelle Mahowald's interpretive ballet. The primary focus of Easter is evangelistic in nature. What better evangelistic hymn is there besides "Amazing Grace"? Tim Kimmel is speaking. I'm sure he's really aiming to connect to people's hearts as he does so well. We can be praying for this service to impact people's lives so they do not leave SBC the same way they came. This isn't about Easter tradition and pageantry--it's about changed lives. I think Easter Sunday is the greatest day in the church calendar. I hope you're as excited as I am to have the opportunity to use our gifts to impact so many people. This is the time to celebrate!!

PS I'm hoping to show the video in rehearsal on Wednesday night so you get a picture of the tower we're building.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home